Friday 23 December 2011

Where has this week gone?

I'm blogging this evening for two reasons; Mark has gone to the pub and I don't want to sit dribbling in front of the tele, (the children are all asleep - I know, a major miracle!!!) and I need to reflect on what we've done over the last week so I can get my head 'round where the time has gone.  HOW IS IT FRIDAY????

So, Monday and most of Tuesday I was working - oh yes, it seems like eons ago but it was just the other day.

I had my very own Christmas party on Tuesday night - I went to IKEA with Emma.  Wooo hoooo - living the high life or what?  Actually, we had a really nice time.  We had a coffee, bought loads of little things that we didn't need, then headed home satisfied with our evening out of the house and with our random, pointless purchases!!! I actually went to buy a wooden cot for Bea's dolls but when I saw it I wasn't impressed so decided not to.  Everything else I picked up Emma warned me not to buy as she'd already it bought it for the girls for Christmas.  My gorgeous, generous, lovely friend.  She's wonderful; not just because she buys my girls nice presents of course, (though that helps!).

Wednesday, we met our gorgeous friends at the Botanic Gardens and swopped Christmas pressies then my dad came down to visit. I made a delicious meal to celebrate Anna's birthday and the Solstice. Later I sewed a carrier that's been waiting on my 'to do' list for the last seven months whilst watching The Inbetweeners on DVD, (ooo so funny)!  I almost forgot that it was Annabelle's birthday and of course, the Winter Solstice and Yule!!! 

Thursday - yesterday, erm, oh yes, er, I have no idea.  What did we do??  Dropped the carrier off at Sarah's house then went to Beamish with dad which felt like a bit of a chore!   Nothing was really fitting together yesterday.  Sylvie was in a foul mood, I was all over the place and Bea was really whiney.  However, we got through it!  A couple of rides on the Steam Gallopers seemed to lighten the mood but by then it was home time!   After Beamish we went up to my dads house.  I faffed around on the Internet, used his printer to print out reams of stuff from this fantastic website where I buy lots of resources then came home and relaxed!

Mark did quite a bit of reading with Sylvie this morning while Bea and Anna enjoyed some quality colouring in time!!  Dad came down and we were going to go to the Botanic Gardens but instead we braved the crowds at the Arnison Centre as dad needed a bit of shopping.  It was quite nice actually.
I LOVE this time of year.  I love the crowds, I love that people can ram you with their trolley and instead of wanting to kill them you can turn 'round and smile 'cause it's Christmas.  I love that everyone's busy thinking about other people - gifts they're going to give, food they're going to cook.  I love having to wrap up in coats and scarves and how cute the girls look in their woolly hats and gloves.  I ADORE well dressed Christmas trees and all of the effort people go to to light up this dark time of year.  I also love that once the shortest day has been and gone it's time for the sun to creep slowly back into our lives.
It seems as though everything is either dead or dying, but it's not.  The trees are budding and coming to life - growing and storing energy ready to spring forth with green glory at the turn of the year.  The birds are starting to couple up ready to bring new life into the world.  Spring bulbs are starting to peek through the earth, making themselves ready, storing the energy they'll need to dazzle us with their beauty in early Spring.  So much to enjoy in the present and so much to look forward to.  Yes, I LOVE this time of year.  I love seeing the Robins in the garden feeding from the seed cakes we made for them and I totally love all of the trash on the television!  Oh yes indeed. 

It's Christmas Eve tomorrow and I'm so excited - it's my favourite day of the year.  We'll have a nice breakfast together then we'll put our warm clothes on and go for a walk.  There are carols in the Cathedral at 3pm so I think we might head up there then we'll head home and prepare for Santa.
The girls will have new PJs to wear and some lovely bubbly bath.  We've got sparkly reindeer food to put out in the garden and we've bought, (not made I'm afraid!) mince pies and carrots to keep Santa and his Reindeer happy!  Oooooo I can't wait. 


No comments:

Post a Comment