Thursday 15 December 2011

So here I am writing a bit more while the onions that I'll add to our lasagna are 'sweating' away in the pan. 
Mark's been a total stress head the last two evenings.  Last night he blamed me for the mess upstairs...  (in the room where he sleeps) and the night before he blamed me for being responsible for the entire spectrum of challenging, annoying behaviour that our girls can dole out.  Of course he said these things in the heat of the moment.  I was sewing which is my work but I presume that because I Player was on and I wasn't with the kids Mark must have thought that I was 'relaxing'... er, no dear...  relaxing is doing what you want, not doing stuff to a deadline for other people who are paying you money.
Anyway, today I've decided to keep a log of what we actually do when he's not here and so far the list of 'activities' and general jobs is quite long! 
I take multi tasking as far as it can go - that's a fact.  Even while blogging I'm cooking the tea.... 
So, my list.  Here it is...  Now this may bore you to tears so if you have little patience I recommend that you look away now...

So what happens when you’re not around husband?
Up at 7.15am.
Shower
Make my bed
Kids playing in bedroom.
Downloaded ITunes
Squared up downstairs, rescued Bea from on top of the drawers twice.
Sorted my clothes for the day and kids clothes for the day
Put a load in the washing machine and emptied dryer
Got kids to pick up tin of lego that bea had thrown down the stairs
Breakfast.  Rice crispies and Weetabix with hot milk
Me – toast and coffee – just about to make it
On hold for brekkie as kids want to talk about the world map on the wall.  Where do we live?  Where is the coldest place and how do we get there etc. etc. 
Kettle on toast in, wipe down table and put clean table cloth on.  Thinking about which Story of the World story we’ll do this morning and whether to put the tea in the slow cooker or not as Sarah is coming this afternoon  rinse dishes in the sink and make girls half a chocolate spread sandwich each.
Sort out box of elastic bands for Bea to play with.  Wrestle huge cup of water from Anna.
Coffee and toast?  Looks promising.
Oh, at this point I’m still not wearing any trousers.
Smile and feel immense joy as I’m buttering my toast as the girls as singing together while playing with elastic bands, ‘twinkle, twinkle little star’…
Breast fed Anna while having toast and coffee.  Watched S and B playing with their elasticated animals!
Wash up
Dress two children then listen as Sylvie starts talking about letters.
9am – Sylvie reads Peter and Jane 1b to me and finishes the book.
Dress Annabelle
15 min Circle time – light the advent candles.  Advent song.  Sit on floor with candles.

Story – The Elves and the shoemaker – focusing on kindness.
Short talk about St Lucia and light and why we use/need light.
Free play. 
Washing in dryer
9.40  Sort out maths sheets to work on for Sylvie and colouring things for Bea and Anna

Kettle on.  Time for coffee and a mince pie while big ones play and I psyche myself up for the three of them around the table… perhaps we should have a walk first?  Ah, can’t do this as my trousers are in the dryer
Clean all teeth
Put another wash in
Headache forming due to lack of sleep – the usual.
10.30 Sylvie has done three pages of maths workbook and has lost interest.  Started colouring in instead.
Trousers still drying!!!  Sun is shining calling us outside.
10.45 Watching Polar Express.  They asked for this to go on.
Making tea for this evening and sorting what we’re having for lunch as Sarah and Greta are coming over for the afternoon.

So there you have it.  Funnily enough, dear husband, I haven't yet had time to put the clean sheets on your bed or to tidy up the lego in the bedroom YET AGAIN. 
I'm thankful for so many things about our lives that the mess in the bedroom that we never really go into other than to sleep doesn't bother me, (today at least).  We're so lucky to live in a free society where you can say and write want you want and not live in fear of torturous punishments for sharing your views.  We've got technology coming out of our ears, (not sure how much of a blessing this is when it's taken for granted).  We are surrounded by beauty and we don't have to send our children to school - though if we want to we have an adequate education system which we can work with to help it suit our children's needs.  Mark and I are both employed and have a roof over our heads and cupboards full of food.
I've learnt from the death of my mother that really all you need it love but my goodness, I'm so grateful for all of the extras that make daily life easier!
Right, I'm off to stir some onions... 







 


















3 comments:

  1. Quite so! And also, M could always do the tidying up himself if he was that bothered ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, you know my thoughts on this ladies. Unitll they've walked a fair few miles in your shoes they ought to keep their opinions to themselves :-)

    ReplyDelete