Tuesday 20 December 2011

My baby girl is two tomorrow and I can't quite believe it!
She's got lots of teeth, her hair is so long that it hangs in her eyes. 
She can speak, she can open the doors and somehow she can climb onto the drawers in Sylvie's bedroom.  How can she do all this when she's still my tiny little baby who nurses and needs me for most hours of the day and night?  This tiny girl who curls up beside me and feeds to sleep looking just like she did when she was new born?
She was 9lbs born, the biggest of the three girls yet now she seems so tiny!  So delicate and fragile yet strong and capable, especially when it comes to fighting the other two off things that she's claimed as 'mine'. 
She was born at home in the lights of the Christmas tree.  A 10 hour labour, every second of it worth the prize at the end.  My black haired, olive skinned beauty, (who is now pale, blond and brown eyed!).  Her little blue fists all curled up and her tiny, tiny feet so perfect and wrinkly!!!
She was awake for ages after she was born.  Her little eyes looking around but not seeing anything.
I was relieved when she came out.  Her labour was the hardest of the three.  It kept me still.  I couldn't move - every move I made threatened to tear me in two - body and soul. It wasn't just a physical pain, the strength of the rushes ripped right through me and out of me pinning my feet to the spot. I couldn't keep on top of the waves, they kept pulling me under and taking away my breath and my ability to think but instead of giving in I tried to fight them and kept trying to move even though they were telling me to stay right where I was! She was worth every moment of it, and so much more!

Her birth is so joyous yet at the same time tinged with sadness.  My mother wanted to be with me for the birth but she was very ill at the time.  Four weeks later, my mother died - such a shock.  Very unexpected.  Annie was four weeks old and was with us in the hospital room with my mum until the very end.  Although this was a time of immense sadness - a black pit of horror that I've never known and never want to know again, Annabelle was a shining light throughout, always making me smile and feel hopeful.  My mother would have loved her as much as I do and as much as her dad and her sisters do.  Gorgeous little Annie, my birthday girl. 

Happy birthday beautiful girl.
I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Fay, that brought a tear to my eye. Happy birthday gorgeous Annie :-) xx

    ReplyDelete