Friday 16 March 2012

Ready to Read?

Everyone was up very early this morning, as is now the norm. Annabelle was not impressed with the early start and demanded an extra hour latched on in bed before she could function without being miserable! All is well now though. Due to our early start we've done quite a bit of reading and maths. We started the day with a bit of 'Ready to Read' - a scheme of work downloaded from which seems to make sense to Sylvie. It's very simple, however, I'm happy with that as anything too challenging puts her right off. Sylvie knows numerous site words and picks them up very quickly - she learnt 6 yesterday, but when it comes to blending words and figuring things out even the basics such as 'hat' and 'sat' baffle her. I'm not concerned about this - she obviously doesn't learn according to the rules of phonics and that's great - she enjoys learning site words and is a fab kinesthetic learner so all of the running around we incorporate into the learning suits her well. As a visual learner I sometimes struggle with Sylvie's style which is more biased towards the aural and kinesthetic. It bores me to death to have someone tell me how something works - I switch off but Sylvie's fine with that! This style suits Mark down to the ground. He loves to explain things and doesn't have to be hands on or immersed in pictures so he and Sylvie are the perfect match. She did lots of colouring this morning and had a look at some 'an' and 'at' words before moving onto Miquon maths. She was doing great but then she got a bit stuck and lost her concentration. I think she's done enough for now though and a break is a good thing! Bea has been tracing numbers and telling me numbers. She's also done a lot of colouring in and a few dot to dots. I really worry that I'm leaving her out, however, I'm doing my best! Mark's going to take Sylvie swimming tonight so I'm going to snuggle down with Bea and Annabelle. I think we might watch a film but I'd rather read stories and give Bea lots of attention. She's been a challenge over the last couple of weeks... you know the saying, 1 step forward, 2 steps back, well, that's where we are so I'm hoping a lot of love and attention might give her a spur in the right direction!!! I took photos this morning but I'll upload them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment