Monday 12 March 2012

Lovely, busy day today. I'll post photos later. I have to find the lead that connects the camera to the computer first!!! We're busy 'rowing' Peter Rabbit and we're also doing a bit of a project about frogs... yes, a mix and match bundle of stuff. I think we're all loving it, I know I am! I feel like we're making huge steps forward in terms of Sylvie's learning - or it could just be that I'm making steps forward when it comes to understanding 'how' she learns best. We got up early today and I think we were all over joyed to see the sun shining. The girls put their wellies on and headed into the garden with some new gardening tools and a desire to dig! I left them too it while I made brekkie and had my 'mummy juice', i.e. strong coffee, then I joined them for a bit of digging and seed planting. We managed to plant some lettuce, some sunflowers and a bit of corriander. There's loads left to plant but the garden's such a mess that I felt a bit overwhelmed by it so came back inside. I left the girls to play a bit longer then called them if 'for school', which went down really well! Our new super huge table is just mint. Sylvie sits at one end, I sit near her with Bea at the other side of me then Anna sits ON the table. This means that they all have their own space to plod on with what they're doing and it also means it's easier to give them all different things to do! I pulled out the Peter Rabbit folder and we looked at some stuff I'd printed from Delightful Learning I LOVE the Delightful Learning blog. A huge, huge thankyou to the mama that's documented the learning journey of her children, it gives me so much help and inspiration. THANK YOU!!! We looked at pictures of seeds - the embryo, the food store and the outer shell and coloured all the bits in, then we looked at the kind of seeds plants grow from, for example, an acorn into an Oak tree. We discussed how seeds end up where they do, for example, an animal may eat some seeds then pooh them out again somewhere else or a human might buy seeds/harvest seeds and plant them. Sylvie loves discussing things and really enjoyed thinking about this. Both Sylvie and Bea coloured in a diagram of a seed growing up into a stem with leaves... they loved doing that! We did a little bit about where Peter Rabbit is set and about the life of Beatrix Potter which was nice then Sylvie sorted pictures of Flower seed packets and veg seed packets into the correct rows. She did loads of letters - tracing and forming her own and filled a basket full of cut out veg and a bit of colouring in. We had a a lovely snack in the garden this morning and after lunch we played 'The Gruffalo Snakes and Ladders. The girls found this a bit tricky and I got quite stressed so we ended up putting it away and going out to play again! Some new books were delivered from Amazon, Jack's Garden and another one about seeds, so we had a look though them but Elliot put us off when he started chasing a frog around the garden. Urgh, nightmare. I don't htink he managed to catch it, thank goodness. I remember when the chickens caught a frog... it was horrific. The poor thing screeched! I had no idea frogs could screech like that - ugh, I never want to hear it again. Once Elliot was out of the way we all sat very quietly to listen to the frog's croaking in the neighbours garden! We've just been out to our French lesson, 'Lingoto' and now we're going to make the tea. The Royal We that is... me. I have to work tonight which is a bit of a pain but I should be able finish off what I'm doing so that the rest of the week is free. Ooo, we've also put a celery stalk into a glass filled with red coloured water so we can see how the celery drinks!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - busy day! Table sounds like a great addition.

    ReplyDelete