Thursday 19 January 2012

FIAR Owl Moon

Well today we've started rowing 'Owl Moon' in a big way and we're all loving it.

I've thrown the Steiner style rhythm we were trying to hold on to out of the window and I've gone with the, 'yes, I have a plan for the day but it's flexible and things can happen as and when they need to throughout the day' kind of feel. As a result we've had a jolly good time and it's been stress free! I'm not feeling vaguely uptight - it's a miracle!

I've read the girls Owl Moon a couple of times in the past so they know the story which meant I wasn't hung up about reading to them before doing any activities this morning. We went straight for the jugular and started making paper owls! Very lovely activity. Gentle, calming and easy. Sylvie added more detail to hers than the other two did which was nice. It's good to see the different ages and stages and how they can gel together so well.
After that we looked at a lovely book about baby owls and then Sylvie drew some gorgeous white, fluffy baby owls! We listened to owl sounds on the Internet then we looked through a book about Owls that uses lots of stickers. It's excellent actually, very informative. I'll be posting some photos next so you can see what it is.

We've made soda bread and lentil soup for lunch and now - as the house is such a tip that we can't possibly find the space to start anything else, we're going to go for a walk to the pet shop!!






If I can find a packet of balloons that my finances will stretch to, (I've only got about a pound in my purse) we'll use them to make papier mache moons with this afternoon!!! I love how book 'Owl Moon' can lead to so much learning. It's really exciting!

Wish us luck!
Oh, and this eveing, if the weather's OK and it's not too cloudy, we're off to the Wetlands Centre to do some Star Gazing... this seems to fit well with the days activities. Can't wait!!

Right, where are my trousers.........................

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I love the whole Steiner rhythm thing, but only when it fits in naturally with the order of the day, coffee stops etc :-) It needs to fit to the beat of your drum - not visa versa! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you would blog your Owl Moon day - looks great! We will definitely be doing some of that.

    ReplyDelete