Monday 2 April 2012

Five in a Row - Planning

I'm feeling quite inspired by the FIAR curriculum and I think the girls are enjoying dipping in and out so I've decided to do a bit of planning. I like lists, I like plans. I rarely look at my lists and hardly ever stick to my plans but it eases my soul to know they are there! I've decided to row books seasonally to keep in tune with what's going on in nature and with the craft activities that we love so much from our Floris books. I think some of the books work quite well together so we'll row them either at the same time or in quick succession. Here's my list SPRING Peter Rabbit The Carrot Seed Miss Rumphius The Very Hungry Caterpillar, (printables to be used ongoing to help Bea with numbers and letters). Madeline The Glorious Flight Story of Ferdinand, (there's a good go-along for this on Currclick that's only about $2). Make Way for Ducklings. SUMMER Down Down the Mountain Harold and the Purple Crayon The Clown of God We're Going on a Bear Hunt, (BFIAR) Grandfather's Journey AUTUMN Lentil Night of the Moonjellies Storm in the Night Time When I was Young in the Mountains Little Red Lighthouse How to Make and Applie Pie and See the World, (I don't know if I can wait until Autumn!) WINTER Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel Katy and the Big Snow Owl Babies, (BFIAR) Owl Moon Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening ... and I might have other books to row by then but so far, this is our collection. There are books here from BFIAR and volumes one and two but I don't mind mixing and matching a bit! On top of this we have other stuff to keep us going... Science Through Literature, Level 1 Story of the World, Vol 1, Ancient Times, (we've not done any of this yet, I'm not that inspired by it and feel like I need to find the love before I can be enthusiastic about it. I love the resources it's just the content that I find a bit boring... I know, I'm so uncultured!!!). We're using the 'Ready to Read' printables from the Moffatt Girls to help with reading which we all really like. I miss out the more simplistic bits as I think Sylvie's past that now but we still enjoy the different units. Sylvie's picking up a couple of sight words every now and again and she's getting on really well with Peter and Jane so I'm fine with that. Bea's showing a real interst in letters so we're going to start doing some really basic stuff with her soon. Singapore Maths and Miquon Maths, (the Orange Book) ............. and that's it, apart from being aware of nature and the changing seasons and doing plenty of crafts to tie in with what's going on in the big wide world. This might sound like a lot, perhaps overkill, but we only do a little bit of each thing and sometimes not every day! Today we're focussin on Easter. I'm not sure how to approach Easter. It's a religious festival and I think the girls should be aware of that but I don't know how deep to take it just yet. We'll see. They're happy to colour in Easter Eggs at the minute so perhaps they don't need to know more yet. A spell checker on here would be grand!

2 comments:

  1. You sound so enthused!! :-)

    Easter is tricky, even coming from a faith background. Clover is very interested (she was transfixed by the Pieta statue in Durham Cathedral, and still talks about it now), but it's hard enough for me to get my head around death and resurrection without having to explain it to a two and a half year old. Happy to natter about it on Weds though, if that's any help? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please Sarah, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete