Wednesday 3 August 2011

Bed time or scream time?






Well, it's 7.15pm and Bea is asleep in bed. This is no less than a minor miracle. The light nights have had my girls up 'til past 10 pm and my plans to lull them into bed before then have been thrown in my face - they've been having none of it! Tonight, however, I started 'bed time' a bit earlier and it seems to have done the trick for missy Bea.
Sylvie, however, isn't chuffed at all. She's in her bedroom looking through books, trying on clothes and, er, YAWNING really loudly - SYLVS, JUST GO TO SLEEP.

We're a co-sleeping household. I sleep with Bea and Annabelle and Mark sleeps with Sylvie. Sylvie has very recently started going to sleep by herself, (Mark goes in later). Bea's no where near ready for this and little Anna's still a weeney baby, (19mths) so she'll not be ready for a long time. Some times I love co-sleeping, some times I loathe it... it's not the 'sleep' part - not that I manage much of that squashed between two little hot bods, it's the 'going to sleep' part. I get a bit miffed when Bea tries to scratch me, kick me and generally abuse me even though I'm lying with her cause she's blatantly knackered and needs sleep! Queer these little people, aren't they. Crikey, if someone was to lay beside me and stroke my hair OFFERING sleep I'd grab it in a shot!!! One day, one day they'll know sleep deprivation and they'll just wish for five minutes of peace..................

I've felt a bit sad today too. There seem to be loads of little babies with their grandparents. Obviously this is lovely, but I mean 'little' babies. I'm sad that they aren't snuggling with their mummies, snoozing and feeding and drifting in and out of a milky stupper. Instead they're in pushchairs, miles away from any form of skin to skin, yes, probably very loved and very happy, but still making me sigh a bit. I suppose this thing called 'work' gets in the way for so many women. I'm glad we made the decissions we did when we could to buy a small house and to live on one wage. It's harder now than it was though - Mark works for local government so he's not going to be given an inflationary pay rise. Food costs a fortune and there are three growing girls to be clothed. THANKYOU MOTHER for gifting me with the ability to sew!!!! It certainly helps to fill the gap. Not enough to buy a new carpet, but still!

We went to the Botanic Gardens in Durham today to meet our Australian friend, Emma, her daughter, Ali and their friend Susuma. What a gorgeous morning, but oh so hot! I was a total sweaty mess by the time we came home. It was a 'teddy bears picnic' today so it was busy and I found it really hard to keep an eye on the girls. I think I need to have a third eye implanted into the middle of my head!!!

I'm going to upload some random photos from the past year. I love looking at people's blog photos so if you're reading, I hope you enjoy these.

As for home ed - er, nothing has happened today in terms of formal learning but the girls have had a wealth of different experiences and they've enjoyed themselves. All happy, all yawny, (apart from Sylvie who is fully dressed and dancing around in the garden... oh well, maybe a lie in tomorrow?)

No comments:

Post a Comment