Monday 1 April 2013

Allotment Bank Holiday

I should really be working today, but instead I've been to the allotment with my dad!
He wants to imprint his knowledge of working the land on me before he pops his clogs so he got me to take a series of photos all about planting potatoes!!!!

I'll be going through these with the girls later and I'll be encouraging them to plant their own potatoes and peas tomorrow!  We also need to set some salad seeds off in pots so that should be fun!

Here are some pics, including a few of the 'rebuilt' poly-tunnel.  The wind took the plastic clean off the outside of the tunnel so dad's rebuilt it and remodelled it.


Inside the door of the tunnel!  My coat hanging up and lots of tools waiting for action!



Dig your trench and put some manure in then put your tatties in about 9" apart. 




Lay your board a foots width from the tatties then dig the soil on top of the tatties. 



Clean out your new trench and start all over again!  Oh yeahhhh.


Mark went along to the allotment to help move the manure when it was delivered.  He said the pile was bigger than two cars parked together.  Excellent!  Co-operative movement of horse and cow crap was the name of the day!  The pile was shared out between a few keen gardeners.  


Lovely blueberry bush.... 


Father in his super mario outfit...  erm, yes. 


Frankentunnel after it's wind blown make over!!!  I'm sure it'll still do the job.  Gaffa tape is fab! 


Pots to put the herbs in!  I love how dad has built a shelf into the side of the polytunnel - it offers loads more growing space and aesthetically it's just right! 

Mark's just phoned to say that he's at Jesmond Dene with the girls.  I wish I was there too but instead I'm sewing like a mad woman trying to finish my March orders!  I know, I know, it's April already...  

No comments:

Post a Comment